Tuesday, August 21, 2012

许嵩 - 幻听

Wow, Vae wows me again. I was first introduced to Vae with 你若化成风. I loved that song and his other upbeat fun songs because they have a chinese style of composition (either through the beat or just downright draws from traditional styles), plus hilarious but easy to remember lyrics. Of all the "creation singers," I find Vae's style to be most versatile. He has an issue where he doesn't speak clearly, but that's an obvious imitation of Jay Chow's singing style. Plus, who's really listening to his voice anyway? It's really more about the composition and lyrics.

His darker songs like 半城风沙 is also a great success, especially paired with the fantasy MMORPG game. Although, the newest song he did for the game's 3rd expansion is a little disappointing in terms of creativity. Sounded like a mish-mesh of his older pieces. But with  幻听 I'm pleasantly surprised. The song itself is relatively generic in C-Pop style, but I'm glad to see he's still trying out new styles, unlike 后弦 who hasn't really changed song styles since 2010. Obviously the problem would be Vae lacks a definitive signature, but I don't think that's really necessary, his voice and singing style is enough for anyone to identify him from the rest of the C-Pop crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment